◉ What is Huayna Potosí?
The Huayna Potosi is a snowy mountain located in the Department of La Paz in Bolivia.
At a distance of 30 km north of the La Paz city, the mountain reaches 6088 meters above sea level.
It is one of the favorite mountains of climbers, as well as fans who want to conquer the top of the mountain.
It is said that it is an easy peak to climb, however all extreme sport requires its security measures.
Mountaineering is considered an extreme sport.worldatlas.com
Although it is not as extensive as the others, it has international popularity. Its monolithic and pyramidal shape, located between the CONDORIRI and CHACALTAYA massifs, can be seen from any place of the Andean zone at an altitude of 6088 meter above sea level. It is considered the easiest 6000-meter above sea level.
Many expeditionists set out for this snow mountain hoping to get to its summit by climbing the east face. HUAYNA POTOSI is the only snow mountain that the climbers go 6000 meter above sea level. In a least time.
As it is fairly accessible, it only requires minimum experience in high mountain climbing. However. HUAYNA POTOSI has a thousand adventures and accident tale whose protagonist attack the summit by the north and west faces, and many people die to try. The north and west faces are actually classify like extreme difficulty.
◉How to get to Huayna Potosí?
It is accessed from the city of La Paz by the route to Chacaltaya, arriving almost at Milluni; At about 6 km there is the Zongo lagoon / Zongo Huayna Potosí platform, and the base camp of the mountain, where there is a refuge for climbers.
To get there, there is public transportation to Zongo leaving at 06:00 a.m. of the Ballivián square in the city of El Alto.
- We organize tours every day, in private transportation, with all the necessary services and equipment.
◉What do i need, if i want to climb it?
The Huayna Potosí is one of the most accessible snows of more than 6000m in height, since year after year is scaled by hundreds of tourists, because no experience is required, but a good physical condition is indispensable for this activity.
At the time of this climb you need.
It is recommended to acclimate to heights of 3500 metersRequired acclimatization
mind and body work as one, to reach the goalMental Force
It is necessary to be in good physical conditionPhysical Strength
Camp, food, equipment for climbing, ice ax, harness, rope, many toolsEquipment and tools
It is not a difficult climb, but it also requires attention and preparationDifficulty
◉Did you Know?
- Many mountaineers use the Huayna Potosí as a practice, and then reach much higher peaks
- It is one of the favorite mountains of many, who even repeat the journey of reaching the top
- In the Huayna Potosí there are cracks that are estimated to be up to 100 meters of free fall
- The water in the mountains boils at 70ºC, and not at 100ºC as at sea level
- Extreme sports such as mountaineering puts life in perspective.
- If your phone or camera freezes, it does not operate properly until it is defrosted
- Have clothes for cold / freezing
- Listen carefully to the guides and follow the instructions
- Do not carry weight for others, the equipment is already heavy.
- Do not attempt risky or reckless maneuvers
- If you have any questions, consult the guides
- always go in a group
Tour – Climbing Huayna Potosí
We organize trips to Huayna Potosí every day, we organize groups to start this journey.
It is recommended that you book your day, to give us time to organize a group in a perfect way. When you arrive at our offices, we can show you your equipment, and the guide who will accompany you throughout the journey.
You will also be taught to use the famous mountain pick.
We have the following tour packages.
Duration: days night
- Private transportation
- Complete feeding on the tour
- All mountain climbing equipment
- Climbing Gear, Boots, crampons, harness, ice axe
- Refugies for sleep (base camp 4700m & high camp 5130m)
- Profesional mountain guide (in Spanish)
Tour does not include:
- Sleeping bag
- 2 liters of water (first day)
- Personal carrier.
Duration: days nights
Private transportation, complete feeding on the tour, climbing equipment, refugies, guide in Spanish.
Tour does not include:
Sleeping bag, headlight, sunglasses, entrance ticket 2 liters of water (first day), personal carrier.