It is located in south western Potosi department at an average altitude of 4.000 m. Nights are cold and the winds are sometimes very strong.
Salar de Uyuni ( the largest salt field of the world) with about 13.000 km2, makes this desert unique and worth exploring. All our trips show a fantastic array of different kinds of dessert terrain, each of which contains volcanoes and colorful lagoons which appeal to a variety of aquatic fauna which are somewhat unusual for this region: pink and white flamingos, geese, ducks, coots, etc.
High salinity means that whilst this vast lake has long since evaporated under the sun, a thick crust of salt remains, forming what we now know as the Salt Flats of Salar de Uyuni.
The best time to go to Uyuni
In the dry season, Salar de Uyuni is a special sight not to be missed. However, rain during February to April make it a totally different experience (Mirror on Earth). As a thin sheet of water (a few of centimeters) covers the flats, it reflects a perfect representation of the sky above so that it is impossible to tell where sky ends and the land begins, this mirror effect has given rise to spectacular photo opportunities.
How go inside of the Salar de Uyuni
Usually the tour is conducted in 4×4 vehicles with 6 or 7 people, with the driver. The tour takes usually 3 – 4 days. The specific sites that are seen can be dependent on the tour, but group input can define which sites are visited and how much time will be spent at each.
Accommodation is usually provided in basic refuges and the weather can be very cold, but it is well worth it for the amazing scenery.
TOUR UYUNI SALT LAKE – 1
Duration: days night
- 1st Day: COQUESA Departure from Uyuni at 10:30 a.m. visiting: Uyuni Salt Lake, Salt’s exploitation, Salt’s hotel, Island of fish, and refuge in the Coquesa population.
- 2nd Day TUNUPA VOLCANO – RETURN TO UYUNI departure of Coquesa at 08:00 a.m. visiting: the extinguished Tunupa volcano (5432 m.s.n.m), mommies- chullpas and return to Uyuni.
TOUR UYUNI SALT LAKE – 2
Duration: days nights
- 1st Day: SAN JUAN Departure from Uyuni at 10:30 a.m. visiting: Uyuni Salt Lake, Salt’s exploitation, Salt’s hotel, Island of fish and refuge in San Juan population.
- 2nd Day: COLORADA LAGOON Departure from San Juan at 08:00 a.m. visiting and looking: the active Olagüe volcano, Cañapa Lagoon, Hedionda lagoon, Chiarcota Lagoon, Honda Lagoon, Tree of rock, Colorada Lagoon and refuge in Colorada Lagoon.
- 3rd Day: SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA Departure from Colorada lagoon at 05:00 a.m. visiting: el sol de mañana, the Geysers, Hot water, Green Lagoon and finishing in San Pedro de Atacama in Chile.
TOUR UYUNI SALT LAKE – 3
Duration: days nights
- 1st Day: SAN JUAN We leave Uyuni at 10:30 a.m. We will visit the salt lake, we will see the process of how salt is made, we will see the salt hotel, the fish island and we will go to the shelter in San Juan.
- 2nd Day: Colorada Lagoon We will leave San Juan at 08:00 am we will visit and see the following things: Volcan Ollagüe, Laguna de Cañapa, Laguna Hedionda, Laguna Chiarcota, Laguna Honda, Hike of the rocks, Laguna Colorada and refuge in Colorada Lagoon.
- 3rd Day: Alota Village We will leave the Laguna Colorada at 05:00 a.m. You will visit: the morning sun, The Geysers, Hot springs, Laguna Verde, Valley of rocks and you will go to the refuge in Alota Village.
- 4th Day: Return to Uyuni. We will leave the shelter in Alota Village at 09:00 a.m. we will visit the small town of San Cristóbal, the train cemeteria and arrive at Uyuni at 3:00 p.m. approx.
- Local guide or bilingual. 🕺
- Transport. 🚍 🏙
- Foods during the tour. ☕🥗
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Sleeping bag
- Back pack (30 lts.)