Pampas & Jungle
Rio Yacuma starts about 30 km East of Rurrenabaque. The upper parts are accessible through Reyes.
From Rurrenabaque popular tours go to the jungle/rainforest (“selva” in Spanish) and to the pampas. The jungle/rainforest is south and west of Rurrenabaque (including a part of the Madidi National Park), and the tours leave by boat and foot. There are many tour agencies in the town offering similar tours.
Rurrenabaque is a starting point for ecotourism, and some eco-lodges are found in the area. The following is a list of the community based Eco-Lodges-: Mashaquipe; San Louis Grande (Mosetén); Berraco del Madidi (Quechua-Tacanas); San Miguel del Bala (Tacanas); Chalalán (Quechua-Tacanas); Mapajo (Tsiman-Mosetén)
Events, festivities: The 2nd of February: Fiesta de Rurre – Anniversary of Rurrenabaque – The day of La Virgen de Candelaria.
PAMPAS & JUNGLE
Dificult: ─ Duration: days nights
- 1st Day: Departures from Rurrenabaque after breakfast, by jeep 4 x 4 at 09:30 a.m. to Santa Rosa town (3 hrs) Approximately, for Yacuma river, where we will have lunch in order to continue to the canoe, we shall navigate for three hours on Yacuma river where we will look different animals like capybaras, alligators, turtles and different bird from this place, arriving to the camp at 6:00 p.m. After dinner we will have a nocturnal departure from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in order to look alligators in their natural habitat and return to our camp.
- 2nd Day: After breakfast we will begin our walking for 2 or more hours in the pampas in order to search Anacondas. Return to the camp to rest and have a lunch, in the afternoon we shall look from the canoe to the pink dolphins in their natural habitat, we would swim in the river and return to the lodge for the dinner.
- 3rd Day: After breakfast we shall have a waking for two hours approximately in the pampas in order to appreciate the different kind of monkeys like: chichilo, maneches, black monkeys, etc. After that We shall fish piranhas
or blanquillas in different lagoons for the lunch, where the cook will make delicious with the fishes, after lunch we shall have a rest, next a walking and looking different birds after that return to the camp for the dinner.
- 4th Day: After breakfast we go to Santa Rosa to ride horses and have a lunch there. Next go to Rurenabaque arriving at 5:30 p.m.
- 5th Day: Departure at 09:30 a.m. from port Beni in boat to motor for three or more hours sailing to arrive to our camp, for the lunch and a brief rest. In the afternoon a walking for three or more hours where we would see toxic plants, medicinal, lianas water, spans, fruits, etc. the guide will explain about orientation and survival in the jungle, return for the lunch, after that we go for a nocturnal walking in order to appreciate the nocturnal wide life, return to the camp for sleep.
- 6th Day: We have the breakfast at 07:30 a.m. for begin the walking into the jungle for four or five hours more or less where we shall appreciate the nature, know about toxic plants, looking different kinds of birds and monkeys that there are in the region, return to the camp for the lunch having a rest for one hour and half approximately, next we go out for appreciate typical birds of the place.
- 7th Day: We have the breakfast at 08:00 a.m. after a rest we go to the river to have “rafting” in a wooden raft for three hours, this raft is called Callapu, next we shall go back to the camp for the lunch and we shall return to Rurrenabaque at four or five in the afternoon approximately.